Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Row, Thrust & Jump

Posted on 3:29 PM by Brit

Yesterday I went into the Fort after my afternoon class to complete my first rowing WOD for the week. Essentially it was "Tabata Rowing," where you complete a number of rounds (I did eight), twenty seconds on and ten seconds off.

My score looked something like this: 98-96-92-89-88-87-87-88. Let me tell you, I was struggling with the rows after the fourth round. When I hit 92, I promised myself that I wouldn't go below 90. Well... as we can see that did not happen; however, I was glad that I at least kept my numbers in the high 80's. Overall though, I'm not going to lie: It kind of sucked and I wish that I had had someone there rowing beside me. Perhaps, if I someone else had been there beside me, then I wouldn't have dropped below 90.

After I finished my little rowing excursion, I set out to complete some heavy thrusters (35 - 40 - 45) before moving on to the following metcon:

  • 10 Thrusters (60 kg/40 kg)
  • 50 Double Unders
  • 8 Thrusters
  • 40 Double Unders
  • 6 Thrusters
  • 30 Double Unders
  • 4 Thrusters
  • 20 Double Unders
  • 2 Thrusters
  • 10 Double Unders
Well, I did the prescribed women's weight (40 kg). I'm not sure if I was overzealous or what, but it was heavy. It is weight... Anyhow, I kind of struggled with my thrusters, particularly after my first round. I'll be honest, I did a lot of one, two and three rep sets. After the first ten, I was simply unable to string together more than that.

On the other end of the spectrum, my double unders felt okay. They are improving, which is all I can really hope for. I've been focusing more on using my wrists rather than my shoulders and have seen quite a bit of improvement, although the most I am able to string together is about twenty, give or take a few. Regardless, improvement is improvement.

At the end of the day, I finished this metcon in 12:03, which I'll live with because I have too. I suppose I'll just have to keep working on my superhero status.

4 comments:

  1. Hey you beat me...

    Also, I broke down and bought my own jump rope today. I was amused to see mine cost $10 and pretty much the exact same rope from Nike cost $20. Gotta have that Swoosh on your handle.

    Of course, my smug attitude will be gone if this rope sucks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I paid nothing for that rope. It belongs to the Fort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also - was not trying to make anyone feel bad about my time. I just always compare myself to the two PowerPuff Girls at the Fort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't referring to you specifically, just the general consumer mindset of everything branded.

    And I'm just giving you shit about the time. You're a strong one.

    ReplyDelete