Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday Funday

Posted on 7:05 PM by Brit

For Labor Day, we did a special team challenge for Monday's WOD:

1 mile run
Seven rounds for time:

  • 10 weighted walking lunges (20 kg/15 kg)
  • 5 burpees
1 mile run

Well, I was excited when I saw this workout. There's no reason to explain why. To prepare for Monday Funday, I warmed up by rowing 500 meters, cut the sleeves off my tshirt, slipped on my new kicks (thanks boyfriend) and teamed up with Tommy Mo. Our strategy? Go as fast as you can and try to keep up with The Show.

When Bill gave us the 3-2-1-Go!, Tom and I were off. I started out ahead of Tom but he quickly made his way past me. I then spent the rest of first mile trying to catch and then pass Sparky, which I managed to do both. I'm not sure how fast our first mile was and I'm kind of sad about that because I would have liked to know whether or not it was sub-seven.

In regards to the walking lungs and burpees, well, they were just what they were. The burpees allowed for a little bit of rest and the walking lunges took a dueling on my legs. Fortunately Tom was counting and we finished them sooner rather than later. All we had left then was catch up with The Garth Show and Matty-Lo.

The first 200 meters or so of that second mile run sucked. My quads were tight and I was having difficulty keeping form on my run. I could actually feel myself heel striking. However, soon enough my legs started to loosen up and I was on the move again. Tom quickly moved out ahead of me, which left me trying to keep him in my sights throughout the rest of the run.

I'm not sure how long the second mile took either but unfortunately Tom and I were not able to catch Garth and Matt. I pulled into the Fort at 22:07, almost two minutes after the speed demons, and then fell to the floor in order to celebrate second place and the fact that we were done.

Personally, I think my new shoes helped my run with the big boys; I felt that fast.

4 comments: