Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Better Body Challenge

Posted on 12:14 PM by Brit

I've decided to take on CrossFit Fire's 60-Day Better Body Challenge. So... as a result, I've decided to let you all know what I am eating, which I would rather not do but whatever. It's part of the rules, so I guess I will follow suit on this one.

I've give you just a general overview of what I'm trying to accomplish. Essentially, I'm working on leaning out rather than losing weight. As a result, I am trying to follow the fat/carb/protein/calorie ratios that Bill laid out for me this past spring, with one exception: I'm trying to limit my carb intake to about 20 or so. I will probably end up asking Bill for more advice on this or to reconfigure my ratios, but for the time being, my ratios look something like this: 113 grams of fat; 45 net carbs; 81 grams of protein; 1521 calories total.

If you want to check out what it is I'm eating, feel free to look at my profile on The Daily Plate. It's got all my dirty details up there. Also, if you have any good recipe suggestions, feel free to send them my way. I like to try new things when I get the chance. Also, any advice as to how to incorporate more fat into my diet would be helpful as well. Wow... I never thought I would ever say that...

One last thing: One of my co-workers brought homemade zucchini bread to work today. It looks delicious, don't get me wrong, and when she offered me some, I felt bad telling her that I don't eat bread. Her response? "That's not good." My response? Nothing. I didn't feel like getting in a nutritional debate with a PhD.

3 comments:

  1. Brit, I have been cooking for Dawn (my wife) meals from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia Child. The dishes all have meat in them (beef, chicken, fish), and all have lots of butter, olive oil, and cream. Sugar and grains are non-existent in these recipes (crazy to think how we/the French had it right 50 years ago!) This past weekend I made lobster thermador, filet mignon, hamburgers (no bun of course) with a heavy cream sauce, ribeyes with cream sauce, tuna steak with a tomato & herb sauce, omelettes, and of course lots of green/yellow/red/orange peppers, onions, and mushrooms sauted in olive oil. So, lots of fat, some protein, and absolutely zero grains or sugar!

    I also made a spinach salad with tomatoes, red/green/yellow peppers, and walnuts. For the dressing, I made the “real” French dressing. You whisk together 1-2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of dry or Dijon mustard. Once the salt is dissolved, add 6-8 tablespoons of oil by droplets as you continue to whisk it all together. Once it is all mixed, I like to add 1/2 tablespoon of either tarragon or basil. It has no grains, no sugar, and LOTS of healthy fat from the olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. THANK YOU. My aunt just bought that book. She saw the movie. It made her want to cook a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Dawn saw the movie and wanted the book, too. You'll be blown away at the recipes ... super easy to follow, and 90% of them follow the Paleo way of eating!

    ReplyDelete