Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Now stick out your butt like: 'Haaaay!'"

Posted on 9:09 PM by Brit

When I arrived at the Fort yesterday for the ladies class, my eyes were immediately drawn to the strength workout: Snatches. All perverted humor aside, I was actually excited to try this. I had never done the movement before, so when Jennie began going over the form, I was paying close attention.

She broke down the movement, starting with the high pulls and then overhead squat position before putting it all together. Jennie really emphasized sticking out your butt when starting, in a position I would now like to deem as the "Haaay! Position." I digress though.

We did 3-2-1-1-1 reps of Power Snatches. I completed three reps at 25, two at 30, failed twice at 35 (the first time because my grip was too wide and the second because I fell backward when I was dropping underneath) and then completed my last single rep at 35 (about time!). Needless to say, I was determined to get that 35, especially since the weight didn't seem all that heavy. Once again, it was my form holding me back. As it seems I may have the same problem with my snatch (seriously, get your mind out of the gutter) as I do with my clean and push jerks: I still need to drop under the dang bar. Regardless though, I liked the movement and am excited to keep working on it.

As for the actual WOD, we did the following:

Five rounds for time:
15 deadlifts (50% of your single rep max = 50kg)
30 double unders

My time? Nine minutes, which I was relatively pleased with. It helped tremendously that I repped entirely through both movements my first round and was able to crank out at ten deadlifts each subsequent round (except for the last one where all I did was nine) and primarily sets of 10-20 on my double unders. Of course, there were moments where I didn't get 10-20 reps and was only able to complete sets of five or so, but those moments were few and far between. I actually felt good about my jumping rope ability yesterday.

Anyhow, in the end it was a good quick metcon, and just for the record (*cough* Tommy Mo *cough*), there was no sandbagging involved.



All of us lovely ladies posing for the camera.


All us lovely ladies ready to dead lift

On another note: Mariah just came back for her first CrossFit WOD since she had her baby. Welcome back!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know - looks like 10K bumpers on that bar from this angle. :)

    Nice work you...animal...you! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brit!! I am glad to be back, but a little frustrated with my loss of strenth...

    ReplyDelete