Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Zoology Lesson #2: The Raccoon

Posted on 7:06 AM by Brit



I am very sneaky.

With their bandit mask and ringed tail, raccoons are one of the most recognizable creatures in the United States. The raccoon is native to the US and used to live primarily in mixed forest areas; however, due to their adaptability, raccoons have now been found in coastal marshes, mountainous regions and even urban areas, where they are considered pesky. Their so-called pesky behavior stems from their foraging nature. Raccoons are omnivores, feasting on foods such as nuts, plants, small fish, and amphibians; however, their bandit-like behavior and adaptability is more than just a source of frustration for some urban and country dwellers. Due to its nocturnal nature and masked appearance, the raccoon is also a well-known trickster figure in Native American mythology, misleading men and women astray from their original path and just generally continuing to be a pain in the butt.

I encountered one of these tricksters the other day. I had come up with a WOD that I thought was relatively low key according to CrossFit standards; however, my seemingly "low key" workout was very misleading, and had I known I was going to suffer another animal attack, I would have taken better measures to protect myself.

"The Raccoon"

25 Burpees

4 Rounds for Time:

  • 25 Air squats
  • 25 Push ups
  • 25 Sit ups

25 Burpees

As previously mentioned, "The Raccoon" seemed rather harmless at first, almost cute in an unassuming way; however, our encounter was a bit misleading and he turned out to be kind of tricky and an all around pest.

For instance, it took me about 18 minutes too long to get rid of the raccoon. The push ups were my primary problem, the next portion of burpees were my second. It also didn't help that the damn thing bit me somewhere in round four because when I completed the WOD, I looked in the mirror and found that I was beginning to resemble the creature himself, which, personally, I hope doesn't last too long. It's just not a very good look for me.

Me becoming the raccoon. No, I don't know why I'm smiling.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe your powers of "shaking out your hair and looking flawless" are limited to WODS done at the Fort??? You're still beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that means I just have to come back to the Fort.

    Heck yes.

    ReplyDelete