Friday, August 21, 2009

Stick a Fork in Me. I'm Done.

Posted on 11:25 AM by Brit

Usually, I refrain from using cliches in my writing but today I was at such a loss for words that I resorted to taking the easy way out. I did a little experiment today. I worked out like I used to before I started CrossFit. I did this for a number of reasons:

  1. It was cold, windy and it looked like rain, and I did not feel like being outside or potentially getting caught in a rainstorm.
  2. As a result of number one, I did want to go to the park, run outside, etc.
  3. I did not feel like scouring the Internet for WOD's or making up my own. It was early and my brain has been feeling mushy from all the critical/analytical thinking I've been doing lately.
  4. I wanted to see if this could be something I could go back to on occasion until I go back to the Fort full time, which I was thinking would not be as soon as I would like.
So today I completed 45 minutes of step aerobics and 35 minutes of yoga. Let me tell you - it was an experience.

In regards to the step aerobics, I was mid V-Step when I realized that I was completely and utterly bored. My awesome playlist didn't even help, and I kept getting thrown off because the aerobics instructor kept doing a Native American war cry. It didn't make sense to me, particularly since the instructor was clearly not Native American; it also made me miss my Indian friends from college. I digress though. Regardless, the combination of pasted smiles and war cries just seemed superfluous.

The yoga... well, I didn't mind the yoga so much. My muscles have been feeling kind of stiff lately and all the stretching helped. I also was incorporating the full push-up while transitioning from up dog to down dog (What's up dog? Yes, up dog is an actual movement. I appreciate the set up but I'm kind of busy at the moment.) as well as was able to pull off the Warrior 3 and Half Moon Pose without falling, which I have never done before. So there was progress in terms of flexibility and balance there, which I will take.

What I will not take is another moment of stepping up and down on a stair while some peppy aerobics instructor tells me to "Smile" because I'm burning inches. I'm sorry but I am not burning inches. Yes, I am sweating; yes, my heart rate is up, but I am not burning inches. I'm probably not even burning centimeters. As a result of this experience though, I have made an executive decision: I'm going back to the Fort full time next week. No more globo; no more videos; no more kicking my own ass. Stick a fork in me; I'm done.














PS: I'm pretty excited about it too.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Glad to see you're finally coming to your senses.

    Step aerobics? Are you KIDDING me?

    I mean...seriously....

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's about FREAKING TIME!

    I'm so glad you had a step aerobics epiphany. Did you at least wear ankle weights during your step abomination?

    ReplyDelete