Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

Posted on 8:18 AM by Brit

Contrary to my posted image, I do not hate yoga. Actually, I quite enjoy yoga because it is calming and it does help develop some body strength and flexibility. On the other hand, I am not the biggest fans of yoga instructors. I realize that the yoga philosophy and practice is to release tension and to focus on balance and healing the body; however, I find it difficult to find equanimity while I'm trying to twist my body into human pretzel. So... as far as aligning my inner chakras goes (or whatever that means) - I think I'll leave that to the yogis - but for other reasons, I don't believe I will abandon yoga just yet.

In terms of comparison, CrossFit and yoga are polar opposites. They are the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of exercise: "Hello Intensity. Meet Calmness." Arguably though, I believe that my yoga practice has, in some cases, helped me with my CrossFitting. For example, like I mentioned before, yoga increases flexibility. Increased flexibility will help you correct form on certain lifts and other exercises. Also, yoga helps build strength, particularly in your core and your back. In fact, the only reason I can do planks well is because I used to do them constantly as a part of my yoga practice. Regardless of my own plank ability, a strong core is necessary for so many of the exercises we do as CrossFitters. In addition, yoga helps you increase your grip strength, endurance and joint-range of motion as well as helps improves some of the following:

  • Cardiovascular efficiency
  • Depth perception
  • Reaction time
  • Sleep
  • Balance
  • Integrated functioning of body parts

There are whole lists out there advocating the psychical and psychological (yes, here we get back to that whole idea of "equanimity" thing) benefits of yoga, which I will not get into or bore you with. Moreover, I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you need to make yoga a regular part of your CrossFitting. Some parts of yoga are already a part of your CrossFit workout regime (think planks, handstands and other stretching exercises - granted, it's not a lot but it's something). Regardless, if you are looking to increase your flexibility on a large scale, adding some yoga to your regular workout regime may be the way to go. (I used to be about as flexible as a piece of concrete and yoga has helped me considerably.) However, if you do decide to give yoga a try, just remember that you have no right to get angry with me because I warned you about the aligning of your chakras mumbo jumbo. Besides, if you try yoga, you're not supposed to be mad anyway. Unleash your fury in standing tree position - don't direct it towards me.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe we can do Yoga in a more "CrossFit" kind of way.

    Flexibility for time?
    Flexibility WITH INTENSITY?
    Yoga until we vomit?

    Why does it all have to be the crazy crappy inner chi and chakra aligning? We CrossFitters not only WANT to be flexible, but we NEED flexibility. Just ask Brian. What we need is Yoga with a CrossFit twist to make it palatable for those of us accustomed to stuff thats's...um....not stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a solution. Well, I think so at least. Not all yoga is about inner peace ("It's the Tony awards! Urge to kill...rising") and feeling the floor and namastes and all that.

    I give you Yoga for Athletes (http://www.yogaforathletes.com/index.asp?). I've been doing it on and off (mostly off, if you've seen my flexibility) for the past couple years. There's not much of the spiritual side of yoga in the hour-long video and it does, in fact, kick your ass if you're inflexible. Lately, I've been focusing on using a foam roller or my Trigger Point Hip Therapy kit (http://www.tptherapy.com/) for 30 minutes, then doing the first 30 minutes of Yoga for Athletes, which really focuses on the hips. I have to see how it works doing both of those on a regular (3-4 days/week) basis, but having just done it last night, I feel much better this morning and think I slept better.

    Just my .02.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an update, I posted my previous comment with some more background on my own blog, plus I noted that Yoga for Athletes has a tagline: "No chanting. No granola. No sanskrit." Sounds like yoga that Crossfitters can get behind.

    Oh, and Jennie? YFA may not be for time, strictly speaking, but it's plenty intense unless you're already a human Gumby.

    ReplyDelete