Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Side Show & Some Notes on "Cindy"

Posted on 11:15 AM by Brit

I've become a frequent visitor to one of the parks in my current place of residence. I haven't spent this much time at a park since I was lifeguard two summers ago, but just like when I was a kid, it's proving to be a good time. Now, I use the term "good" loosely primarily because I'm frequenting the playground to get in a WOD, which means I'm trying to kick my own ass. Aside from this - the monkey bars are great for pull ups; there are some tires set up that I can use for agility drills; there's a nice running route; some bleachers for running stairs. I'm not going to lie; it's a pretty decent setup. My only complaint is the strange looks I seem to get from those who encounter me.

Granted I don't particularly pay attention to my spectators when I'm focusing on my kip or trying to get full extension on my push ups; however, it's those moments in between when the sweat is dripping into my eyes and I'm staring up at those monkey bars that I just want to focus on cranking out more pull ups. For example, the other day, this same situation occurred; however, instead of focusing, I was distracted by the five year old who just got off the slide, looked at me and said: "Grandpa, what is that lady doing?"

"Cindy," I replied under my breath before jumping up and doing a few more pull ups and the moving on to my push ups. "I'm doing 'Cindy.'"

Now had I not been in the middle of the workout, I may have smiled at him and told him I was just working on improving my pull ups, told him they make you stronger, all that nicey nice stuff. The problem is that I'm sure I didn't particularly look all that nice while I was working out - not unless you think sweat, dirt and grass stains are the newest look for fall (hey, to each their own) - and I'm sure my smiling at him probably would have made the grandpa make a beeline for the car rather came off as a friendly gesture. Regardless, I'm assuming that I probably made their trip to the park a little more interesting, even if I was the side show.

On another note: About Cindy. Cindy is another workout that helps you measure progress. I met Cindy at my very first day of CrossFit, and let me tell you, I've come a long way. When I began CrossFit, I was using the green band for pull ups and didn't get much depth on my push ups. When I did Cindy the other day, however many glorious months later, I did the workout prescribed and completed ten full rounds plus five pull ups and eight push ups. It was nothing spectacular but compared to where I was when I began and my ongoing battle with pull ups, I was okay with this; at least I broke double digits. I only wish that I had at least reached twelve rounds. Guess, I'll just have to push myself a little harder next time.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent progress, Brit. You just have to keep telling yourself that because we always want more. It's who we are. It's all around us. No matter what we have or what we can do, we always want more.

    That being said, I think you're perspective is the right one. Take a moment and reflect on where you began. What assistance did you use? Green Band. What was your technique like? Flawed. Where was your strength/endurance? Low.

    NOW, look at you and ask yourself those questions. Your answers:
    - No assistance. In fact, you repped out 10+ pull-ups. From huge assistance to NONE and steady reps.
    - Chest to deck and full lockout. Not a slight break in the elbows. No shaking of the arms. Not even 1/2 way. It's a full ROM with near flawless technique.
    - Climbing! You just set a PR on the 5K! Your short distance times are improving. You just PR'd on your 2K row. And on, and on. I'll stop there and let your mind take over from here.

    Point being - HUGE progress and something you should be proud of. I speak for myself and many others that echo the same thing: We're proud of you.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete