Thursday, July 16, 2009

Brit's Paleo Kitchen

Posted on 2:48 PM by Brit

Rather than going into the Fort, I decided to take a rest day yesterday and to spend some time in the kitchen.

I decided to look up some paleo recipes and stumbled upon the following:

Spicy Pecans

Ingredients:

  • 4 teaspoons cinnamon

  • 1-1/2 teaspoon ginger

  • 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne

  • 2 egg whites

  • 1/4 cup raw honey

  • 5 cups pecan halves (or walnuts)

Directions:

In small bowl, combine cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cayenne. In large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy; add honey, whisk again just until egg whites and honey are combined. Add nuts a cup at a time in the egg and honey mixture. Remove and toss in the spices. Repeat again until all the nuts have been coated. Spread on 2 lightly greased baking sheets; bake at 250-degrees for one hour, rotating sheets halfway through baking, or until coating is crisp and nuts are fragrant. Let cool.

Needless to say, I was excited. I heart pecans and spicy food. So I took myself to the kitchen and got working.

I didn't make the full batch yesterday because I was worried whether I would like them or not. Nuts are expensive, and I didn't want to ruin my delicious pecans without knowing how they were going to taste. As a result, I only did three cups instead of five. I also subsituted this ground three pepper seasoning for the cayenne pepper just because I couldn't find any.

The result? They were pretty darn good, although they were more sweet than spicy. There was a hint of spicy that went well with the honey, cinnamon and nutmeg, but I feel like the the recipe's title was a bit misleading. I don't know. I keep contemplating... I can't pinpoint the flavor. I will, however, throw myself under the bus and eat some more just so I can give you a better review. I'd do that for you.

No Response to "Brit's Paleo Kitchen"

Leave A Reply