Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Track & Field Day... By Myself.

Posted on 2:12 PM by Brit

I decided to go to my local high school yesterday to use the track. I decided to do a workout that I have been hesitant to do on my own ever since I quit attending the gym regularly:

4 Rounds for Time:

400 meter run
50 air squats

I'm not sure why I have been so hesitant to do this WOD. I'd done it before. In fact, I had even made an attempt to do this on my own prior to yesterday and ended up only making it halfway through the first round and deciding I wanted to do something else. Regardless, I decided to give it another try.

To warm up, I began with a simple 400 meter run. I then moved on and did 2 sets of 15, 1 set of 20: sit ups, supermans, push ups and air squats (no, I'm not sure why I did more squats). I then got a quick sip of water, shook out my legs, got my stopwatch ready and convinced myself that I really wanted to do this workout.

I quickly switched the song on my iPod to make sure it was good enough to start out on, pressed the button on my stopwatch and gave myself the 3-2-1 Go! Instantly, I was off, trying to imagine I was chasing after someone to keep me motivated both on the runs and on the squats, especially the squats. For some reason or other, I find/found it rather difficult to keep myself moving through those squats without someone next to me. I kept trying to force myself to do two sets of 25 each time, but found myself resting more than I would have liked (I really need to work on pushing through the suck). I also tried to imagine Bill yellling at me, telling me that I wasn't going to beat Kris's time (this is what happened the previous time I did this WOD), but it was still difficult. Imaginary yells and people just aren't the same.

Although my time did improve slightly (13 seconds), I do believe that had I had someone else there that I would have completed the WOD faster. Like I said before, but for some reason, I had a hard time with doing this workout by myself. Even though I haven't been particularly fond of working out alone lately, completing other WOD's alone has not been a trial like this one. Luckily though, I forced myself through this and did show some improvement. The whole experience did reinforce one thing for me though: I need to get back to the gym. Kicking my own ass is just not very fun.

8 comments:

  1. Brit, what was your time on this? I'd like to try it later today on my own...I'll see if I can beat you!

    Really though, I want to work on my running because I'm much slower than my fellow Crossfitters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it in 14:05. Let me know how you did. A word of advice - really push through with the runs after you get done with the squats, it'll loosen up your legs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brit! That gives me a time to go after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mental Toughness! I want you at the fort as much as anyone else, but you are building your mental toughness when you are working out by yourself. That will give you that extra edge when you are out front in the lead and someone is trying to catch you. That is huge. Keep pushing yourself! As Tommy Mo would say..."if it was easy, than everyone would do it!"
    Great work.
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brit, I just completed this metcon. 13:45. THANK YOU! You don't know it, of course, but you pushed me all the way through this one. I could "feel" you at my heels on every run and every squat. Great advice to push through those runs...I would have rested too much had you not told me that. Thank you! We miss you at the Fort...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff - Thanks. I actually never really thought about that. That's a really good point.

    Super Dave - Awesome job and awesome time! I'm glad I could help you out. I'll see you at the Fort this Saturday, if you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brit, I will be there at the Fort for sure on Saturday! Dawn and I plan to come to your party on Saturday night, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I'm glad you guys are coming!

    ReplyDelete