Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Progress Report #1

Posted on 12:47 PM by Brit

So you're probably wondering how my no grain/no sugar challenge is going. Let me tell you...


It's not.

When I began the challenge, I was rockin' it. I made it through the first week relatively crabby-free. It was when the weekend rolled around and my friend in the City beckoned me to come down for the margaritas and Mexican food that began my eventual sugared/carbohydrated demise.

I am exaggerating a bit when I say "demise." It's not like I've gone sugar/carb crazy and began stuffing my face with Cheetos and chocolate chip cookies. On the contrary, cutting grains out my diet has been the easiest part of the challenge; however, summertime and Summer Shandy go well together, especially on weekends. It's not that I drink a lot or even very often anymore but it's still enough that I can tell a difference in how I feel and how I look.

The same is true in regards to the sugar. Although I did indulge a bit this past weekend, my sugar related problems have otherwise been limited to the meat, marinades and spice rubs that I've been cooking with. I know this seems otherwise inconsequential, but I can tell a difference between the first week of my challenge versus this past week and realize that I need to get back on track.

I realize that I may be trying to do too much, especially since I am trying to count calories too, and this may be part of my problem. I also realize that my home is not entirely Paleo friendly either, which also adds to the difficulty of the situation; however, in the end, unless you're Super Dave (who cut everything cold turkey), changing your diet is hard. Moreover, it takes time to phase things out, and in that respect, I feel that I'm doing okay. I've phased out grains (bread, pasta, cereal, etc.) and almost all dairy (I do eat cheese on occasion) and other processed foods. So in that respect, all is not lost. Now all I have to do is focus on fine-tuning, which I think can be the most difficult part since it's often easy to overlook minor details.

Now, I am in no way done with the challenge because I am trying to think long-term here; however, I am going to try and do better at taking this challenge more day by day and to not beat myself up if I screw up. Instead, I'll focus more on getting back on the wagon and getting back to where I felt fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. What's the latest status with your paleo challenge? I didn't know you were going all paleo on me! Good for you sweetie!

    We miss you at the Fort!

    ReplyDelete