Monday, July 6, 2009

Stay Puft? I Think Not.

Posted on 12:34 AM by Brit

Dr Ray Stantz: I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us: Mr. Stay Puft!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Nice thinkin', Ray.


If you've ever seen Ghostbusters (and if you haven't, you need to), you know that Venkman's response was dripping with sarcasm. Sure, in regards to context Venkman's sarcasm stemmed from a 100 year old demon's supernatural attempt to destroy New York City, however, based on early lines in the movie, Dr. Venkman was also fully aware of the dangers of sugar. Case and point:

[Inspecting Dana's refrigerator for paranormal activity]
Dr. Peter Venkman: Oh, my God. Look at all the junk food!
Dana Barrett: Oh, dammit. Look, this wasn't here...
Dr. Peter Venkman: You actually eat this?

You see? Miss Barrett's eating habits were less than spectacular. Venkman knew this, and I'm sure Miss Barrett knew it too; she was just too preoccupied with ghosts living in her refrigerator to notice or care, which is completely understandable considering the circumstances. My point though, is that I have been eating like Dana Barrett and thinking like Dr. Ray Stantz lately in that sugar can't hurt me (even though I know better). For example, I was a bad girl yesterday, and this was why:
  1. Dark chocolate cake;
  2. Sausage and mushroom pizza with ranch dressing;

  3. Ice cream.
If there was ever a trifecta of evilness to put into your body, this may be it. I was fortunate enough to miss the smorgasbord of Paleo Hades (if you're unfamiliar with eating Paleo follow the link: http://www.paleodiet.com/) that went on at my house on Saturday because of work; however, there is this little thing, you have probably heard of them, they're called "leftovers," that brought down my weekend to a whole new level. If there is a Food Hell, I think I reached the Fifth Circle yesterday, since I seem to hate myself by eating this way (by the way, whoever can tell me what epic I am referring to gets ten points and a Paleo cookie).

If I wanted to, I could come up with a whole mess of excuses for my less than perfect eating habits. Sure, I don't have demons living in my fridge but it was a holiday weekend and I've had a lot going on – parties with friends, music festivals, boating trips, work, little sleep and so on and so forth. Regardless, I'm sick of making excuses for myself. I admit it. I haven't been as focused on my diet as I should be, and believe me, I'm already feeling it. See that picture of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man? Yeah. That's exactly how I feel right at the moment: Puffy and gooey - like someone just took an air pump to my body and filled me right up. I actually feel kind of sick. It's not pleasant.


To take care of my current puffiness though, I plan to get back on my diet – starting today. There's no reason for me to tell myself that I'll start tomorrow. If I start tomorrow, then I will tell myself that I will need to start the day after that, and if I tell myself that I'll start the day after tomorrow, it will become the day after that. For this situation, as for most situations, (and I apologize for the cliche) there is no better time than the present. It also comes at perfect timing because a "No Grains/No Sugar Challenge" was just recently posed at the Fort. Three weeks, just a measly (or incredibly long, depending on your perspective; I prefer the former - positive thinking, people) 21 days, without grains or sugar. I'll take that challenge. Heck, I'll even take some pictures and post them for people to see my progress after the three weeks (sorry if I scare anyone) because in the end it's your diet that is going to take you to the next level of fitness and is also what is going to bring about the best results. You don't need a CrossFit coach, a personal trainer or dietitian to tell you this. It's common sense. Eat junk - look and feel like junk; eat well - look and feel well (and dead sexy).

I'm starting my 21 days today, and I'll update you periodically throughout to let you know how it's going. However, I'll challenge you to do the same: Cut grains, dairy and unnaturally occurring sugars/processed foods (I'm still eating berries, but that's it) out of your diet and let me know how you feel three weeks later. I will commiserate with you if need be, but I promise, we will both feel better and be one step further from staying puft.

2 comments:

  1. 5th Circle is from Dante's Inferno. The 5th Circle, if you really care to know, is extremely unique in that it focuses on 2 very distinct forms of sin that basically follow the same principle: 1) Wrath, 2) Sullenness. Wrath focuses on anger that is extended outward wheres sullenness is more repressed and held within.

    Now, I want my Paleo cookie! You know where to find me.

    That was easy. Muwahahaha.

    Seriously, you'll be great on the 21 day challenge - focus on 1 day at a time and small wins each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom! And I am so going to bring you a cookie!... Or maybe just some bacon, since I know how much you love it.

    ReplyDelete