Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I'm not a player; I just crush a lot... (Part 1)

Posted on 8:51 AM by Brit

I was quite the player this week. I did two of the Nasty Girl WOD's: On Tuesday, I did "Nancy"; on Wednesday, "Helen."


Nancy

5 rounds for time:
  • 400 meter run

  • 15 OH squats (30kg)
16:17 (at 25 kg)

When I arrived at the Fort on Tuesday, I had every intention of doing Nancy prescribed. Sure, my OH squats are not my strongest lift, but I figured I could make up time on the 400 meter run. I practiced a few with just the fifteen kilo bar and then then brought out two five kilo plates to test it out at 25 before moving up to thirty. As I practiced my OH squats, Bill wandered over to my lifting space under the loft. He watched me intently, taking note of my form, as I held the weight overhead and then squatted beneath it. After completing a few reps, I set the bar down and anxiously waited for the assessment. Bill would determine whether or not I was ready to move up to the prescribed weight.

"Your OH squats are getting better," he told me.

Heck yes! I thought, trying to contain my excitement. I was going to be able to do this WOD prescribed my second time ever doing it and at forty pounds heavier.

" But -"

Dammit, the voice in my head grumbled. There had to be a "but."

"... your knees are still shaky sometimes. I wouldn't do more weight than that."

"Okay," I responded dutifully as I watched my prescribed Nancy dream shift itself back into the "undone" column on my mental Nasty Girl Rx'd checklist. Bill knew better than I did.

Who was I to argue? So I set myself up, promising that even if I didn't get to do the WOD prescribed, I was at least going to crush it.

And (kind of (okay, not really)) crush it, I did. I say "kind of" and then "not really" because obviously I would have liked to do better and I can admit that my time was not that impressive. I am slow at OH squats because I'm preoccupied with my stupid knees and I wasn't able to make up that much extra time on my runs.

What was good was that I was almost able to do all of my OH squats unbroken. I crushed that dream too when I dropped the bar with two reps left on my last round. (Two stinkin' reps). Luckily though I was able to get back on the bar quickly and crank out the last two before my time crept any further.

Overall though, I was able to practice some good OH squats without dropping the bar on my head (yay) and was able to keep Stacy on pace, who did do the WOD prescribed and now holds the women's record at the Fort (atta baby!). So all was not lost - and unbeknownst to me, I would be able to prove myself on Wednesday and to a group of spectators, nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I need to work on the part of not dropping the bar on my head (or neck).

    ReplyDelete