Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Pride Check with a Side of Redemption

Posted on 9:07 PM by Brit

I'm back in the blogosphere (at least for tonight) and decided that it was necessary for me to comment on my experience at sectionals this past weekend in St. Louis. I am just warning you: There were some highs, and there were some definite lows.

Personally, I always like to start with the bad news first. (It's the whole rip-off-the-band-aid-quickly mentality. The faster you go, the less it'll hurt.) The bad news is that I got crushed by the first WOD of the competition. For those of you who aren't familiar with this little number, let me spell out it for you:

The Airforce WOD*
  • 20 Thrusters (30 kg)

  • 20 Sumo deadlift high pulls

  • 20 Push jerks

  • 20 OH squats

  • 20 Front squats

*Every minute, on the minute, the competitor must complete four burpees.
*20:00 DNF

Guess who DNF'd?

Um... that would be me.

I did my first set of burpees and thrusters like a damn maniac; however, the weight started to catch up with me and the clock started ticking faster and faster, I lost momentum and found myself doing far more burpees than any person would ever like to do.

In the end, the OH squats did me in (I swear they are taking pull ups place as my ultimate enemy), and I found myself (very upset but) glad that the clock buzzed, indicating that my performance (or lack thereof) was over. I then retreated to the stands where I could hide amongst the rest of the crowd to await my second beating of the day, which consisted of a 5:00 AMRAP of clean and jerks at fifty kilos.

In short, I was not confident about the second workout at all. At that point in time, I hadn't cleaned over 56 kilos and the first WOD hadn't really boosted my confidence about my abilities as a CrossFitter. Regardless (because I'd rather have someone break my legs than quit for no reason other than pride; I am that stubborn/determined/possibly not very smart), I made my way out onto the floor, telling myself that my main goal was to get ten or more and to not waste any reps.

Well, I actually exceeded my expectations. Although I did fail two reps, I was able to get sixteen clean and jerks before the time elapsed. I was personally happy about what I had accomplished, albeit it was far from impressive in comparison to many of the beasts that were there. Little did I know that I would soon redeem myself at least slightly on the third workout.

The third workout was the 54321 WOD. We did five minutes of rowing for calories, four minutes of box jumps on a twenty inch box, three minutes of squat snatches at twenty kilos, two minutes of wall balls at thirteen pounds and one minute of handstand push ups. My numbers looked something like this:

  • Row: 65 calories

  • Box jumps: 115 (I was a box jumping machine.)

  • Snatches: 15 (Eh. I rested with these.)

  • Wall balls: 25

  • Handstand push ups: 0 (I can only do two on a good day, and my shoulders were cashed from the day before.)

Total: 220

Now 220 may not seem all that impressive, but I did manage to win my heat. I also tied for the twelfth best female score in the third workout. Not too shabby for a girl who got her ass handed to her the day before if I do say so myself. Personally, though, I think it was the fact that I didn't wear a shirt that made me do so well. Garth may be onto something... (PS: I have zero idea as to what I'm looking at in that picture. Lord knows why they put it on CrossFit TNT's site.)

Overall, I did not qualify (let's get serious); however, it was a good experience. It was exciting and I loved being able to watch everyone else compete. Everyone from the Fort did an excellent job, and I'm so proud that I get to associate myself with CrossFit Fire [CFF] and the people that go there (yes, this is the overly sentimental part of my post). Plus, I'm even more excited that Pete and Stacy get to move on to Denver. There will be more good things to come, I'm sure, for both Pete and Stacy and for the rest of the firebrethers at CFF. And with that, I'll leave you with the words of a wise elder: GFO (That's "game f8&^in' on", for you non-CrossForters).

3 comments:

  1. That first WOD was rediculous Brit! There were a boatload of people that DNF'd and I sure thought I was going to join them more than once during the WOD. The only thing that kept me going was that I didn't want to do any more burpees! I so wanted it to be over.
    We need you for the affiliate team so don't start selling yourself short. You absolutely destroyed the 3rd WOD. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and they threw a lot of HEAVY weight at us that first day. Don't let it weigh you down :)
    ps - you're a fire breather too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree with the Show there, Brit. Like I told you before the 3rd WOD "it's all the past, forget about it. Focus on the now and go out there and kill it." And you did.....

    A lot more positives then negatives from your performance at Sectionals. Keep that focus as you continue to train for the Affiliate team.

    And by the way, the "elder" you refer too, don't forget that about this time last year you both jointly agreed via text message that you both would make it to the games this year (either individually or via affiliate).

    Eye on the prize, Brit! Eye on the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brit

    I will tell you this you exemplify what a cross fit athlete is and should be. I am very proud of your effort and even more proud of the way you continued to push your limits when you seemed to be down and out. It says a hell of a lot about your character.

    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete