Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Taking the Crazy Train to So. Dak.*

Posted on 9:53 PM by Brit

Although it has been awhile since this past weekend, I think it is still necessary for me to comment on my little field trip to CrossFit Sioux Falls. Last Wednesday, my brother, sister-in-law and I hit I-90 for about seven fun-filled hours to make it home for the holiday weekend. Thanksgiving went well and on Friday I headed out to participate in the Black Friday activities; however, before then, I made my way over to CrossFit Sioux Falls for a quick WOD.

When I arrived, I was greeted by one of the owners, Chris. He let me in on what we were doing that day, told me that one of their CrossFitters was actually visiting the Fort (awesome - exchange program), and then let me be to complete the warm up, which consisted of three rounds of box jumps, kettlebell swings, and walking lunges.

After completing the warm up, all of us congregated around the white board to conquer the following beast:

Trevor

In teams of four complete the following, for time:

  • 300 pull ups
  • 400 push ups
  • 500 sit ups
  • 600 squats
*Only two people may work at a time.

I was lucky enough to be paired up with three awesome ladies (Jeri, Becky and Sarah). Jeri and Sarah set themselves up on a band on one side of the jungle-gym contraption (seriously... it was kind of weird as I could feel the entire thing moving beneath me as I was kipping) that was in the middle of the floor and Becky and I set up on other. We were given the 3-2-1-Go! and away we went.

I was particularly pleased with my pull up portion of the WOD. I cranked out twenty pull ups my first time out (heck yeah!) and then Becky and I proceeded to switch back and forth after completing ten reps each. Granted, I wasn't always able complete ten at a time, but I did feel rather accomplished that Becky and I completed more than half of the pull ups.

In regards to the rest of the workout, I was relatively pleased with myself. As someone just coming in, I wanted to make sure that I carried my weight and didn't let my team down. I felt that I sufficiently did so, with maybe the exception of push ups. I felt as if I struggled a bit. At the moment, I tried to remind myself that I was doing chest to deck push ups in sets of ten, but I hated feeling like the deadweight. This was probably why I was determined to fly through the sit ups, completing fifty my first time out and then finishing subsequent rounds in reps of thirty, and then continuing cranking out squats, doing sets of thirty until we were all confident that we had gone over on our reps. I guess that counting problems aren't limited to the Fort.

Anyhow, overall it was a great experience. The ladies on my team were awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed the WOD. What I did not enjoy was that I was sore for three days afterwards. Guess that's what you get for taking the crazy train to So. Dak.

*So. Dak. was the old post office abbreviation for South Dakota. According to my South Dakota friends it's much cooler to say So. Dak. than South Dakota. Who am I to disagree? It's more fun to say...

No Response to "Taking the Crazy Train to So. Dak.*"

Leave A Reply