Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Many Faces of Fran

Posted on 9:08 AM by Brit

So thanks to Tommy Mo and the good people at CrossFit Milford, I have this long list of workouts that one can do while on vacation. While I am not technically on vacation, I do not have weights at my house and do not have the means to purchase them (If I did, I would just go to the gym. Der.) Anyhow, on this long list of fabulous workouts, I noticed a familiar name: Fran [insert scary music here].

Now if you're a CrossFitter, you know exactly who Fran is and all about her diabolical plan to make you hate your life in 10 minutes or less. For those of you who don't know Fran, let me introduce you:

"Fran"

21-15-9 reps for time of:
Thrusters (40 kg for men/30 kg for women)
Pull ups

Fran here is a staple workout for CrossFit, so it shouldn't come to anyone as a surprise that one would want to hang out with her for a little while on vacation. As a result, "Invisible Fran" was born.

Like her visible counterpart, the reps are the same and the workout is for time. However, you're supposed to substitute air squats for the thrusters and push ups for the pull ups. Sounds great right? Wrong. You can't kick someone that is invisible. Nonetheless, I took on "Invisible Fran" yesterday and finished her off in 2:30 and then ignored the fact that some CrossFitters can finish regular Fran in less than 3 minutes. I felt okay about my "Invisible Fran" time mostly because my push ups are getting stronger. On the other hand, I was not as pleased with my time on my own variation of vacation "Fran."

Like I said, I decided the other day to do another variation of "Fran," which I dubbed "Franny" because I imagined this is what a younger, more innocent Fran was like. I substituted chest to bar jumping pull ups (stupid pull ups - ugh) for regular pull ups and did thrusters with a 10 pound bar to practice my form. For the record, yes, I lied a little bit about not having equipment. I have an Iron Gym (the only "As Seen on Television" thing ever worth purchasing) and a 10 pound bar from my cousin (Which is pretty much nothing; we all know that kids.) I also intend to make a homemade wall ball out of an old basketball and some sand. I'll let you know how that goes. Anyhow, I digress. You know what I found out though? I found that Fran was not very nice when she was younger either. I finished this workout in 3:40, went "eh" and felt just a little bit disappointed in myself primarily because I felt that I should have completed the workout more quickly than I did. Oh well. Room for improvement, right? Right.

Well, there you have it. There are just a few faces of Fran, even though one is technically invisible. I'm just hoping that someone makes up a French version that we can call "Francesca." It's just fun to say.

No Response to "The Many Faces of Fran"

Leave A Reply